Not a bot.

New Face? Old Face? Wanna say hello or at least make us aware of your presence? Then feel free to introduce yourselves. We won't bite...hard. :twisted:

Note: New Users are required to post an intro thread.

Re: Not a bot.

Postby Jecilyn » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:58 pm

Rollsumi wrote:So the area near the land down under has a lot of earthquakes? Darn =/

Don't rush yourself into anything if you're not ready!

A 7.1 on Sept 4th last year and a really shallow and devastating 6.3 on Feb 22nd this year. (The latter was recorded at at 2.2 peak ground acceleration) Details on the wiki page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_ground_acceleration

Both our quakes are on here, but the 2nd one was just insane!

Of course a 5.7 and another 6.3 last Monday didn't help the nerves any)
*"Let's not jump to conclusions...."

**"I didn't jump...I took a small step, and there the conclusions were..."
Jecilyn
Approved Role Player

Prologue...(rough draft)

Postby Jecilyn » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:29 pm

(what is listed below is an accurate and truthful account of what I have seen and experienced thusfar, and my experience is far less painful than many others within these events.....I have transcribed it here as a prologue for a potential story...)

Living on the alpine fault line, we always knew there was a risk. When two plates meet less than 300km from your home, it's something you learn to live with...so long as there as relatively small but regular quakes to relieve the pressure, the 'big one' is just another bogeyman....something else to prepare for. After all, we learned that lesson the hard way in 1931.

Even so, nothing prepared us for what happened on September 4th...nor what followed.

It was around 4:30am on a Sunday, and almost everyone was at home asleep. A fact that saved a great deal of lives, given the physical damage that was to come.

It began with a low rumble, not unlike a truck going past the house and moments later the house jiggled slightly.

A regular occurrence, but enough to make people awaken and take notice...a good thing too as the jiggling turned into swaying and then to violent jolts...enough to throw people out of bed and into walls. Enough for the power to go out and leave thousands of people terrified in the dark as it continued for nearly a minute, trying to tear houses asunder as they groaned and squealed in protest...before it finally ceased.

Power, water, sewage, cell networks were all down, out of order or overloaded as people desperately tried to contact friends and family, to make sure their loved ones were alright. What little news there was to be had, was listened to on car stereos or cell-phones as reports began to come in, even as aftershocks continued to rock the city.

State of emergency, central city badly damaged...but no casualties. An Earthquake more powerful that the one in Haiti that recently caused so much death...had only damaged us, and our homes...but no-one had been killed.

Most of us didn't believe that last one, assuming that as time went on, we would hear of someone who did not survive....but as the day began and continued as people picked up their suddenly shattered belongings and lives, we were all relieved that our greatest fear would be proven wrong...this time.

Life went on, the community banded together in a way most of us had never seen before. Aftershocks became a daily reminder of what had happened and how lucky we were it had not been worse. Bureaucracy chugged along, slowly...too slowly for some whose suburbs were uninhabitable from the liquefaction, sewage and silt flow that had inundated their homes...and others where the ground had simply given way and dropped several feet, leaving gaping wounds in the roads and properties.

The rest of us did what we could, went back to work, and tried to move on.

Little did we know.......
Last edited by Jecilyn on Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:49 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Jecilyn
Approved Role Player

Postby Rollsumi » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:05 pm

O.o

I have no words.
Rollsumi
Approved Role Player

Prolgue part the 2nd (rough draft)

Postby Jecilyn » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:42 pm

Did we become complacent? Perhaps we did, after all what were the chances of another quake of a similar scale hitting us again so soon?

The city had been badly damaged and demolition, reinforcing and rebuilding had began. Certainly the constant aftershocks kept everybody on their toes, and we all tried to look ahead, rather than dwell on what had happened. After all, we had been incredibly lucky last time and despite the problems the were affecting a small proportion of our population in the eastern suburbs, life was getting back to normal. Visitors to the city couldn't believe how blase we had become with multiple small quakes everyday, which was out of necessity...

Scientists took the opportunity to study the area, discovering that the area was on a previously unknown network of fault-lines that hadn't been active for over then thousands years...long before anyone settled the country....and they explained things to us as the rest of the country nodded and pledge to help us rebuild.

February 22nd would change everything.

It was around lunchtime when we were subjected to the Earth flexing it's muscles once more. Although smaller in magnitude, the second quake was much more shallow, and the movement created was far more powerful and the ground accelerated far more quickly. Even reinforced structures were not built to cope with such powerful flexing and twisting...especially when it was both horizontal and vertical movement in one.

This time, the city was again badly damaged but made worse by the fact that the people of Christchurch were in the busiest time of day, as building and store frontages came crashing down around them, and onto them. The Cathedral, the very center and heart of this city groaned as the spire and tower gave way, sending clouds of dust through the central square leaving spectators open-mouthed and terrified.

Throughout the city similar scenes were playing out....houses split open like overripe fruit, boulders from the surrounding hills and cliffs dislodging and plummeting down through hillside suburbs, tearing holes through anything in their path. The ground bubbled and groaned as silt and sewage once more forced it's way to the surface and out into peoples yard and through their floors...

The city held it's collective breath as rescue operations swung into action, trying to save those within the buildings who had been trapped or crushed. People wandered around in a daze, wondering what had happened....or in this case, what had happened again. Family members stood vigil at sites for over a week, hoping against hope that their loved ones might be lucky enough to be pulled from the wreckage of multistory buildings.

What followed was a nightmare, uncertainty, fear, stress and ultimately grief as pictures of our shattered city filtered through the news. Historic buildings, monuments, the neo-gothic heart of the city that was a source of so much pride, reduced to so much rubble...and the death toll continued to climb as international Search and rescue teams arrived to aid with recovery.

A state of emergency was declared, and the entire Central business district was shut down....thousands of business were closed, their workers suddenly without jobs. Everything looked very bleak...but we were overwhelmed by the response from other around the country and from around the world. We would recover, we would move on...

Days passed, weeks, and now months....the city remains closed. People have fled, taking their children with them. The tallest building in the city lean precariously and threaten everything within several blocks. Demolition has began, but information is scarce. The government and the appointed recovery body are taking things slowly, unwilling to tell the population how many suburbs will need to be abandoned....unable to be built on again. Insurance assessments are slow in some parts while others have be done and dealt with within weeks. The single biggest insurance event in the Southern hemisphere they call it...several hundred thousands claims have been filed, and the cost of rebuilding is into the billions.

But that doesn't help those who are stuck in limbo, unable to leave and go elsewhere until they know the fate of their properties...will they be able to rebuild? Or will they need to move elsewhere? Any insurance payouts are on hold until decisions are made...and they are a long time coming. Everyone's nerves are shot, and the sanitary conditions are archaic by 1st World standards as repairs slowly progress. Accurate and relevant information is the order of the day, and the 'maybes' and 'we are investigating' does nothing to appease those who are living in broken homes as winter bears down on us.

The aftershocks keep coming...

Then, Japan....we stand and watch as A huge quake hits offshore, sending a tsunami through so many villages and towns...killing tens of thousands. We mourn with the rest of the world, and send our own rescue teams to return the favour. Students volunteers who organised thousands of university students into a workforce are asked to come and do the same in the devastated areas....and although the world's focus has shifted from us, we try to help as much as we can...despite our own city being nearly flattened. It is what we do after all.

It is now June....nine months after the first quake and not much has changed. Politics and bureaucracy still hamper progress, the city remains closed, and will be until at least November. No one is allowed within the cordon unless they have authorization. There is talk of moving up to thirteen suburbs further inland or north, and abandoning those too damaged to rebuild. Scientists still examine the data, and fraudulent forecasters still predict the end times and more earthquake...scaring many and preying on their fears. The city they know and love will never be the same, and it will close to a decade before the city is truly back on it's feet....closer to 3 decades before the scars of these events are removed from our sight and the city rebuilt.

Just what caused all this? Was it simply a one in a million year event...or perhaps there is something else at work? Either way....for now, the people are scared and close to breaking point as the earth continues to shake and heave, as if something were stretching....moving beneath the surface.
Last edited by Jecilyn on Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jecilyn
Approved Role Player

Postby Chris_B » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:16 pm

Oooh... I like the foreshadowing...
deviantART: http://kalanosis.deviantart.com/
Bimbo Fan and Writer
Chris_B
Approved Role Player

Postby Jecilyn » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:27 pm

Hmmm...do people prefer 1st person or 3rd person narrative?

Obviously in the case of Rp'ing I vastly prefer to work in the 3rd person, but storytelling is a little different....

Opinions?

Jecilyn
Approved Role Player

Postby Chris_B » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:43 pm

First person is fine with me, but I'd say go with whatever you feel most comfortable with.
Bimbo Fan and Writer
Chris_B
Approved Role Player

Postby Rollsumi » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:52 pm

I like 3rd person, but that's my personal opinion. When I read first person it just reminds me of someone who was just awful about rping.

Luckily he isn't here anymore.

But great job so far! It's such a great read!!!!!!
Rollsumi
Approved Role Player

Postby Jecilyn » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:57 pm

Hmmm...

I might try and write the same scene from a 1st and 3rd person perspective, see which one works best. ;)

I have the afternoon to myself tomorrow, so I have plenty of time....

(Off topic, my finace has a degree in Engish Lit ...She and I both know where my faults lie in writing, but I got the compliment of "You have a very engaging style of writing....which I take as high praise indeed. :D )

Jecilyn
Approved Role Player

Postby Lunakitty » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:58 pm

I tend to merge both in my posts. I kinda do mostly 3rd person until I need get in their head, then I kinda go back and forth. Though it depends on how I wanna convey the character. For instance in a really depressing prologue I made (and still have on my DA page) I use 3rd-person specifically because I want a cold, detached feeling, and a sense that the character herself is so far removed from herself that she's more an object in her own world than an active part of it. I still let her thoughts break in, as if maybe she's actually using the 3rd person perspective herself. ...well I guess that sounds kinda odd. lol
"Yeah, I'm a total Witch."
"Haha, you can swear around us."
"I know what I said." *turns you into a newt*
O_O
"Bah, he'll be fine."
__________________________________________________Can you believe in this?
Lunakitty
Lady of the Night

Postby Jecilyn » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:52 am

New job is crazy busy....good but busy.

I don't think I have enough time to maintain a presence here at this stage. Stupidly, I might be more engaged if I had gotten over the issues I had with tests and stuff and had been involved in Rp'ing and posting, but that's my own neurotic fault....but something has to give, and I'm barely here anyway.

Ce la Vie...sorry all. I might stop in from time to time, but it's going to be few and far between

Jecilyn
Approved Role Player

Postby Silver » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:58 am

Such is life indeed... pity to hear that but I'm sure we all understand. Till the next time you stop in then, have a good one.
I fear today will be filled with Lunacy.
So exactly like every other day.

Silver
Approved Role Player

Postby Jecilyn » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:53 pm

Been looking at one of my more favorite characters and the tragically short rp I began using her in...I figured I'd put her up here, and maybe translate the posts into a short story....

Name: Jharden
Race: Human
Class: Warrior
Appearance:She stands about 5'9", with blazing red hair and cat-like chartreuse eyes. She frequently wears a haunted expression and has many scars criss-crossing her body. Her face might be considered pretty if not for the hardness reflected in her eyes. Jharden is 'damaged goods'

History:
The survivor of a massacre and sold as a slave while but a child of 4, she learned early on not to trust. She was used as a servant until she reached her teens. Unfortunately her rebellious streak grew and she was frequently beaten before finally being onsold.

She spent the next several years working an owner whom ran gladiatorial games. She worked hard as a drudge, hauling, cleaning and doing whatever needed doing. She saw too much death for one so young and buried countless man, women and children before her 15th birthday.

She was abused often during her enslavement until eventually, she finally snapped. Several weeks prior she'd been badly clawed by one the wild tigers they had imprisoned for entertainment, and although mostly healed from her physical wounds, the added pain and emotional wounds she carried from her abuse caused her to lose control.

She stabbed and gouged one of her owner's best prospects a total of 42 times with a sharpened spoon before they were able to pull her off him. The wounds she inflicted would not allow him to fight again for many months, and cost him the use of his left eye not to mention his manhood.

Her owner was ready to have her disposed of, when one of his long serving gladiatorial warriors stepped up and suggested he make use of her in another way... she had fire after all....Thus she entered into a different kind of service.

Over the next 2 years, she learned. She was beaten, twisted, injured and abused worse than ever before, but now it all had a purpose, and she refused to give up. Her new teacher providing her with something she'd hadn't had before.

Hope.

Finally she was ready, and for 2 months she and her trainer fought as a pair in the arena, against all comers, surviving together and winning accolades and reknown in the process

Unfortunately, her tormentor nursed a vendetta against her and in a match that had been planned as his return, he secretly (and in league with her owner) poisoned the one man she had allowed herself to trust. Injured and cradling his head as he died on the sand, she knelt as they advanced upon her, to take her life and dignity in the most public and painful way possible.

Jharden snapped, a cold fury swirled through her as she methodically and painfully defeated her tormentor and his partners. Them, she killed outright.

Him....she knocked him to the ground, pinning one wrist to the hardened, packed sand with his own trident, the other wrist with her own blade.

She stood over him as the crowd roared...her head cocked, staring not unlike a big cat stares at it's prey. Slowly, she unsheathed her slender dagger, and there in front of fourteen thousand cheering fans she knelt down beside him....

and slowly skinned him alive....before devouring his heart.

There was almost a riot in the stands that day.

Her reputation preceded her over the next several years, drawing larger and larger crowds, making it unprofitable for her owner to simply kill her. Instead her newly awakened sociopathic streak was put on display for the amusement of the crowd as she first played with and then brutally, and graphically slaughtered her opponents.

Until a unknown benefactor purchased her contract...'rescuing' her from the nightmare

Over the last few years, she has begun to learn to trust once more, but is still dangerously unstable....she has begun to suspect that something within her is 'wrong'...that her time in the arena may have changed her too much, as she has begun to suffer from blackouts.

Jecilyn
Approved Role Player

Postby Chris_B » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:46 am

O.O;
Bimbo Fan and Writer
Chris_B
Approved Role Player

Postby Jecilyn » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:19 pm

harden entered the village, wrapped in a voluminous and heavy cloak to disguise her many scars, and conceal her sword. Her barely-visible hand carrying an unstrung bow, she could already feel more than a few nervous eyes on her as she made her way towards the center of the village.

She gave a small shiver...she was being watched... carefully at that. Her cloak covering all but her eyes and feet wasn't exactly inspiring trust. The summons she received spoke of bandits, and she knew her appearance wouldn't put too many at ease...but it beat the alternative. She knew her blade-scared body and catlike eyes wouldn't likely win friends...nor her gently curved two-handed sword. It just _looked_ evil with it's dull red metal blade. It didn't matter that it was of fine craftsmanship and well balanced....it's appearance tended to freak people out, much like Jharden herself.

With a heavy sigh, she picked her way up the steps of the only establishment to offer accommodation and food, and carefully entered.

She looked around, picking out those who were locals and those who definitely were not as she approached the bar.

"A meal, a night's lodging, and whatever you have that's best to wash down the trail dust please" she ordered quietly, paying the innkeep the required amount.

She could feel several more eyes on her as she moved over to a small table and sat down facing the door, although she knew this was standard for any new comer to be scrutinized thus. She had been summoned here to help deal with a bandit problem, and she was interested as to who had sent her the request.

The reward was of no real consequence, it would pay the bills though. She was there to try and redeem herself, to put her talents to use in protecting people...at least that was the theory. She'd been doing this for nearly a year, and the bloodlust she felt in combat was only barely less than it had been when her contract had been bought out by her benefactor. She'd barely even gotten a good glimpse of whoever it was before they had vanished.....but they had left a written warning and instructions for her to follow. Very clear instructions.

She shivered again, and subconscious rubbed her left arm. The scars there still hurt occasionally, despite having healed some time ago.

The blackouts were the biggest issue for her. They'd started some time ago and were always sporadic, but recently they'd began to occur with greater regularity and frequency. Jharden had awoken more than a couple of times in an unknown barn or stable, barely clothed but with the most recent event she had woken in the woods outside town. She was beginning to believe the trials she'd face in the arena had unhinged her mind.

She relaxed slightly as her food was delivered to her table, and she finally folded her hood back so she could eat. She was starving and the trip here had been long. She almost considered a bath if they could get the water hot enough.

She nodded her thanks to the serving lad and began to eat.

Jecilyn
Approved Role Player

Postby Jecilyn » Sat May 23, 2015 11:53 pm

Sooo.....who's still about? Rp's still happening?

I know it's been a while, but I miss all you guys (and gals) :)

Jecilyn
Approved Role Player

Postby Mitsunami » Sat May 23, 2015 11:58 pm

Only a handful of us still seem to be active here, sadly...and not more than a few at a time. Seems to be that real life annoyances such as school and work are eating up most of everyone's time and energy, which is also stunting their creativity and motivation to write...though when anyone does manage to post anything, it's still usually very good. ^^;

You sure you don't want to join up, Jeci? A new member might help breathe some life back into things, and I can vouch for your higher-level RP ability.
Violets are blue,
Roses are red,
We're coming aboard,
Prepare to eat lead.
Mitsunami
Approved Role Player

Postby Jecilyn » Sun May 24, 2015 12:05 am

actually, that kinda why I'm here....was rereading a couple of old rp's over at the process...and wistfully looking back at how much I miss it :)

So yeah, coming into Winter...and work is less frenetic atm...so thought I'd scurry out and so what's what.

(Also I _hate_ it when rp's die without resolution...:) )

Jecilyn
Approved Role Player

Postby Geno XIII » Sun May 24, 2015 12:15 am

OK, how the hell are you not an approved rp'er yet? *fixed*

I am so sorry, I have no idea how that happened.
3DS Friend Code: 3067 - 4780 - 9062
Geno XIII
Site Admin

Postby Jecilyn » Sun May 24, 2015 12:18 am

I hadn't done a test....long story.

However, if it is required, I am willing to make a go of it

Jecilyn
Approved Role Player

PreviousNext