What Happened To The Forum?

Something Bad Happened. Learn More About it in Here!

What Happened To The Forum?

Postby Lady Exie » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:59 pm

Well, that's easy to answer...it died! Or more importantly, the database files became corrupted sometime last night and had to be deleted. Unfortunately, the backups I had aren't working and it seems everything's permanently lost.

I am in the process of rebuilding, so bear with me. More info to come soon on what's gonna happen. For now, just re-register and, if you're in contact with anyone, let them know as well.

Contact my through email at fullmetalxz@yahoo.com or find me on YIM @ fullmetalxz
Lady Exie
Site Admin

Re: What Happened To The Forum?

Postby Lady Exie » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:27 pm

So What Exactly Happened?
Well, sometime last night, the MySQL files that run the forum database become corrupted and had to be deleted. Unfortunately, it seems the webhost didn't back my files up like they said they would and the backups I had just aren't working. So, the forum had to be reinstalled completely.

Where Are All The RPs?
Unfortunately, they all disappeared when the database files got fucked. I'm trying hard but it doesn't seem like I'm going to be able to recover them. It really sucks but its something we're all gonna have to live with.

So what do we do now?
We're all gonna need to pitch in if we want to get our active RPs. Unfortunately, completed RPs like No-Man's amazing Lady of the Mists has been lost, along with any other great post that was in the old forum. There's no real sense in crying about it. It's a damn shame and I feel really bad but we should just try to rebuild what we can. I'll be working to try to post summaries of some of our RPs so that we can try to pick up where we left off. However, I'll need your help to do that, since I'm not in every single RP. So, if you remember anything, summarize so that we can pick up and continue.

What if _____ isn't aware of what happened?
This is a relatively small community so I expect many people to be in contact with others. If you are, please let them know of the situation and point them to this thread.

I Re-Registered But I Didn't Receive a Confirmation Email. What do I do?
Given that I haven't had much time to set everything up, you may not receive a confirmation email and might just get registered automatically. If that doesn't happen, email me immediately at fullmetalxz@yahoo.com.

My Favorite RP Has No Summary. Why not?
The GM for that RP might not be registered on the forum yet. If you can contact them, do so...please, I want to get this forum back to at least working condition so letting anybody know about what happened or maybe even getting new members here on the forum would be best. Personally, I know Vamp and Otaku will be summarized, and I expect Katt to summarize Infestation. If you're a GM and you need help summarizing, gather up members and rebuild the story so that you know where to pick up from. I leave this up to the GM's discretion whether they will summarize and continue or just start fresh.

I used to have a kickass avatar, but I don't remember where to find it. Help?
Luckily, I do have an archive of files saved, including everyone's most recent avatar. They aren't labeled by name, but describe it for me and I'll probably be able to pull it up for you.

What about using Wayback Machine to archive everything?
Unfortunately, it takes six months for wayback machine to submit something to their archives, so an archive of the last known forum configuration for the crash probably won't be available until March. I hope the old forum does get archived, because that means we can recollect everything that was lost. But I'm not sure when/if that will really happen.

More instructions to follow...
Lady Exie
Site Admin

Postby Lady Exie » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:51 pm

If anyone has suggestions on what to do, please, feel free to post.
Lady Exie
Site Admin

Postby shadow21viper » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:40 pm

If anything lets try and move on with everything.

I just hope some of us were smart and saved any of the stories on their hard drive.

I'm upset at myself for not doing it earlier. I've told myself for months to do it but never did. So much lost. T_T
shadow21viper
Approved Role Player

Postby Lady Exie » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:04 pm

I feel the same way. I really wished I would have backed some stuff up, but unfortunately, I didn't. But yeah, we need to get everyone back on this board and reregister and just pick up where we left off.
Lady Exie
Site Admin

Postby shadow21viper » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:48 pm

Well while were waiting for everyone to re-register maybe you can get the threads up and going again. It's up to you. With them up we can start posting right away before we forget anything.

Also I've been thinking about this since this place was first set up. I think from time to time we could invite others to join us here. Obiviously if they want to or not. Mostly people we know that can RP already. There isn't as many of us that used to be.
shadow21viper
Approved Role Player

Postby Lady Exie » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:56 pm

Well, it'll be a few days before everything is up and running...I want to give people some time to trickle back into the site, as well as reinstate the admins and everything.

As for inviting people, go for it. That was always allowed. I have to set up the testing forum again, but yeah, it should be fine to invite other RPers here. Everybody should keep checking back. Slowly, this forum is gonna spring to life once again.
Lady Exie
Site Admin

Postby Qwerts » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:59 pm

Well, if there's something positive about this, it's that I could change name. Now. It's sad for all the games. Unfortunately, I haven't backed anything. I've checked my IE temp files, but nothing. I'm gonna switch to my Leopard boot, to see if I can find anything in Safari. Hmm... I might have another idea... I'll check. I'll keep in touch.
I came.
I saw.
I made it ackward.
Qwerts
Approved Role Player

Postby Lady Exie » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:07 pm

Well, I mean, name changes could always be done, as long as you asked an admin. :p

But we should be trying to take something positive out of this...and that is, we should be striving to rebuild bigger and better than before. The webhosting here pays a lot more attention to paid accounts (this site runs on a free account), so I may wind up upgrading. Its only $5 a month so no one needs to feel bad about me spending money and decide to donate. You'd only be donating pocket change anyway, so it doesn't matter.
Lady Exie
Site Admin

Postby shadow21viper » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Lady Exie wrote:Well, it'll be a few days before everything is up and running...I want to give people some time to trickle back into the site, as well as reinstate the admins and everything.

As for inviting people, go for it. That was always allowed. I have to set up the testing forum again, but yeah, it should be fine to invite other RPers here. Everybody should keep checking back. Slowly, this forum is gonna spring to life once again.

A couple of days. T_T I'll live. It's a good thing the Process is around.

As for inviting people sweet. ^_^
shadow21viper
Approved Role Player

Postby Katt » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:26 pm

Can I get moderator power back? I'll see to making the sections of the forums when I get time.
Katt

Postby Qwerts » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:32 pm

Sorry, searching through my iMac, I found out that Safari can only open sites if online, therefore, there's no way to see what was on before. That suck. Hmm... Well... That could also give new opportunities... If nobody have saved anything... Maybe we can restart anew some of the existing games. I mean, I'm just thinking about all the dropouts from Otaku... There are characters that disappeared, and people that couldn't really join, since it was already started. It's annoying though, but I'm pretty sure that everybody remember most of theirs characters as they were. Just a thought.

Sry I couldn't help more though. ><
I came.
I saw.
I made it ackward.
Qwerts
Approved Role Player

Postby shadow21viper » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:49 pm

I was thinking the same thing Qwerts. Though we might need to drastically change the plots to make them intresting again. Or we could start completely over but whatever.

It's ok. I kept telling myself to save them but I kept putting them off.

On a separate note. my RP will start at the point everyone arrives on the island. I'm not in the mood for starting at the beginning again.
shadow21viper
Approved Role Player

Postby Kassidy » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:52 pm

The Rper formally known as Wolfe... So who am i pummeling
Kassidy
Approved Role Player

Postby Qwerts » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:03 pm

Well, starting over with the same characters, even if the events of the beginning are similar, the rest won't. So, I don't know. I'll just have to dig up around the net again for Mako's facts. That's what happens when you don't have your manga under hands.
I came.
I saw.
I made it ackward.
Qwerts
Approved Role Player

Postby shadow21viper » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:11 pm

Kassidy wrote:The Rper formally known as Wolfe... So who am i pummeling

The webhost for saying they will backup the files but they didn't. Liers! *points finger*

Well, starting over with the same characters, even if the events of the beginning are similar, the rest won't. So, I don't know. I'll just have to dig up around the net again for Mako's facts. That's what happens when you don't have your manga under hands.

I don't know either. It just depends how everyone else likes the idea of starting over.
shadow21viper
Approved Role Player

Postby Geno XIII » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:09 pm

I'm fine with starting at the Island.

As for Vamp, we were thinking of making the Epilogue going on right now into a separate rp until the sequel is ready.
3DS Friend Code: 3067 - 4780 - 9062
Geno XIII
Site Admin

Postby shadow21viper » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:43 pm

Sounds good to me. Were going to need it to gives us something to do.

EDIT: Oh, andjust to type this down before I forget. The last thing I rememeber was Valerie arriving at the library and Rain using a spell to tell what happen to her that made her the way she is at that moment.
shadow21viper
Approved Role Player

Postby Lunakitty » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:59 pm

I like the idea of summing up what's happened so far in the first page of posts (everyone chipping in) and going on from there. We had some good plots going and it'd be a shame to start over, jsut because of a bad glitch ^_^

I say we press forward and keep treating this place like the great story forum it was and still is. Jsut because we don't have a past to look back on, it doesn't we can't move toward the future!

---

However, I do have a fun idea for a NEW RP ^_^ We all pick our favorite character from a story, keep them character4, but all in a new RP and all have amnesia! ^_^ For example, I'd be using Yuri form the Vampire Thread but she wouldn't remember anything beyond waking up in a room with all or only some of hte Character from other threads ^_^ This would be along with continuing the current (deleted) RPs as well though. Just a fun little side trip of intra-Forum crossover filler ^_^
"Yeah, I'm a total Witch."
"Haha, you can swear around us."
"I know what I said." *turns you into a newt*
O_O
"Bah, he'll be fine."
__________________________________________________Can you believe in this?
Lunakitty
Lady of the Night

Postby Lady Exie » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:03 pm

Well said, Click. If any noticed, the forum is slowly starting to look like it once did.

Also, for anyone involved with Otaku, Geno and I are considering retconning out characters that ended up disappearing so that their will be less confusion.

Anyway, I'm excited about the enthusiasm about rebuilding. My spirits were crushed last night but I'm glad everyone is just willing to pick up where we left off. Also, I will be uploading people's avatars since I have a backup of them and I want this place to look like it once did.
Lady Exie
Site Admin

Next

Return to Important Information