Return of the Otaku Club

Got an idea for an RP? Go ahead and post it here and discuss it with others before deciding to proceed. Your open forum for feedback and opinions about your ideas.

Return of the Otaku Club

Postby Mitsunami » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:19 pm

I've lamented the death of the Otaku Odyssey often enough to several people, but never really looked like it would get back in circulation. Too many missing players, plot kinda forgotten, problems like that. However....out of sheer "why not", thought I'd put this up and see if there's any interest in a reboot.

New thread, with a fresh start at whatever transformed the original club, new characters (or revive old favorites, if you wish), new enemies for them to face. And attempting to work a plot in somehow so people don't get bored and jump ship too quickly.

What I've worked out with Geno so far is the idea of a villain council that is attempting to turn the situation to their advantage, working together to gain control of this new dimension of overlapping anime universes. One possibility includes the idea of visiting the original universes of some of the villains and trying to beat them on their own turf, Kingdom Hearts style. Overall, the main goal is undecided at the moment, possibly just trying to find whatever Macguffin made the imprints possible in the first place, and then decide if the world should be put back to normal, or if the new universe should be the norm.

Open to any and all suggestions in the interest of building a plot and such to go on. At this point, will gladly settle for interest in joining, just so I know that this isn't a lot of ideas going into something that won't get off the ground. Discuss?

Also, if anyone would be willing to Co-GM, that would also be appreciated, since I don't think I'm very good at it by myself.
Violets are blue,
Roses are red,
We're coming aboard,
Prepare to eat lead.
Mitsunami
Approved Role Player

Re: Return of the Otaku Club

Postby Jecilyn » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:56 pm

Discuss here or PM?
*"Let's not jump to conclusions...."

**"I didn't jump...I took a small step, and there the conclusions were..."
Jecilyn
Approved Role Player

Postby Mitsunami » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:03 pm

Here, preferably. :P
Violets are blue,
Roses are red,
We're coming aboard,
Prepare to eat lead.
Mitsunami
Approved Role Player

Postby Qwerts » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:16 am

Good luck on this one MItsu, people seems to be less inclined to RP here nowadays. I liked that game, however, I'm not gonna participate in this one for personal reasons.
I came.
I saw.
I made it ackward.
Qwerts
Approved Role Player

Postby Jecilyn » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:57 pm

I am always keen to play something...and help out with running where applicable.

My concern about the commitment of everyone/anyone involved and response times...as Qwerts has noted, things have slowed down somewhat from what I can see reviewing the history of threads/games. (Sure RL does happen)...but aside from intermittent flurries of activity...it's very easy for threads to stagnate, and if you continue to post/run the game without a player getting their post/actions in place first, I've seen it lead to players giving up....

Seems to be a catch22

Thoughts?

Jecilyn
Approved Role Player

Postby Mitsunami » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:45 pm

I can't really help if others don't have the time to post...most I can promise is that I'll be doing my best to keep responding when I have posts to respond to. Or was your concern something else? Also, you weren't in the first Otaku game, Jecilyn- would you need an explanation of what to expect?
Violets are blue,
Roses are red,
We're coming aboard,
Prepare to eat lead.
Mitsunami
Approved Role Player

Postby Jecilyn » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:56 pm

More of a soliciting comment from everyone, rather than pointing fingers...and I'm as guilty as anyone. When people slow down posting for whatever reason, it's easy to put things out of mind for a bit...move on to posting elsewhere, and posts slow down further, until they trickle to a stop.

I'm not trying to nitpick or assign blame...I just hate seeing threads slowly die :cry:

And yeah, I would need to know what to expect/ details etc... I went looking for the original using the search but came up empty

Jecilyn
Approved Role Player

Postby Silver » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:02 pm

The first one was started quite a while ago, lost through a forum crash or 3. I would say I'm potentially interested in a redux of this, though I dunno yet. I'll leave the explanation to Mitsu however.
I fear today will be filled with Lunacy.
So exactly like every other day.

Silver
Approved Role Player

Postby Mitsunami » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:14 pm

I wasn't a member of this forum at the time the original started, so I don't actually know what caused the insanity...but basically, it had a group of anime/manga enthusiasts that were the first to be exposed to something that caused "imprints"- seeing a picture or video of a manga/cartoon/anime/comic/game character would cause them to see a flash of light, followed by them slowly becoming the selfsame character over the course of several minutes. They would be possessed of all memories and abilities of the character, but also have their own original mind...so something of a split personality, I think.

Cross-imprints were also possible, temporarily changing into another character after the first imprint, which would sometimes result in gaining extra abilities from another character. As far as the plot...well, I didn't GM the last one, so I don't know what the plans were. Most of it was just having a good time with fun transformations. Eventually, the imprinting started spreading to the rest of the world, changing people at random...and while most everyone who changed ended up as a female character, not all of them were good.
Violets are blue,
Roses are red,
We're coming aboard,
Prepare to eat lead.
Mitsunami
Approved Role Player

Postby Jecilyn » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:18 pm

Sounds intriguing, and plenty of opportunity for fun.

If you would like help, let me know :)

Jecilyn
Approved Role Player

Postby Silver » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:19 am

I'll only say, and this was probably the biggest pain for me, it got to the point where stuff was confusing. Most players had upwards of like 4 characters, even more in some cases, and knowing where the plot was going was very confusing, at least for me. I'm sure at least someone else agrees with that view.

Otherwise what Mitsu said was right. And split personality was right, as I recall at least most of the imprints had their own memories and that of the new characters.

Silver
Approved Role Player

Postby Mitsunami » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:04 am

Hmmm.....confusion, you say? In that case, to counter it....

Well, in that particular case, I'd say that the options we could use are to either limit the number of characters people are allowed to use, or something like summaries on request in order to fill people in on what is going on, should they lose their way.

That, or just play that "Don't Lose Your Way" track from Kill la Kill. :P
Violets are blue,
Roses are red,
We're coming aboard,
Prepare to eat lead.
Mitsunami
Approved Role Player

Postby Silver » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:14 am

That is a good track.....

Silver
Approved Role Player

Postby Qwerts » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:36 am

Keith was the guy with the smallest character rooster in the original game with well, 1. Tho, he was the last one to join, so yeah.
Silver had 2, if I recall correctly, one he retired which was the original persona of his Samus which had somehow gained a metroid body.
I had 3, retired one at the same time as Silver, as they were connected, was more or less about to ditch Mia.
After that, people had like 5-6 of their own. Geno, Exie and Click where the one that had the most, they played both villains and heroes, but with at least 2-3 (and sometimes more) on each side.

And yes, at one point this got REALLY confusing. I mean, the plot seemed to go anywhere, trying to cover a lot of points, enemies all inter-linked somehow, but we didn't know why or how or whatever, some enemies were never seen by the "heroes" but they were "seen" by other enemies. I'm not saying it was a bad idea, just that it was chaotic.

Not judging anybody here, just saying what I recall from then.
I came.
I saw.
I made it ackward.
Qwerts
Approved Role Player

Postby Chris_B » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:52 am

I'd be interested in starting up another Otaku Club RP.

And I think it would probably be best to limit the number of characters that any one player can have.
deviantART: http://kalanosis.deviantart.com/
Bimbo Fan and Writer
Chris_B
Approved Role Player

Postby Mitsunami » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:10 pm

Alrighty. In that case, what is a fair limit to have?

I was planning to use two right off, one for combat and one to just sort of hang out at the main hub and play maid for all the rest....so...what's the upper limit that most won't get confused by? Should we say three, or would some be comfortable with moving beyond that?

Also, I think myself and Co-GM(s) should be allowed to skirt around this particular limit in certain circumstances. I'm referring to the need for us to control the villainous characters, as well as any needed NPCs.
Violets are blue,
Roses are red,
We're coming aboard,
Prepare to eat lead.
Mitsunami
Approved Role Player

Postby Jecilyn » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:27 pm

I was going to say 1, but if the point here is for more, then I'd draw it at 2....to minimise confusion. If things progress to the point of needing a 3rd (or more), _and_ everyone is following along okay with minimal confusion, then I'd ease it up the ruling abit.

Jecilyn
Approved Role Player

Postby Mitsunami » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:33 pm

Eh, the point isn't exactly to use more characters so much as it is to have fun putting some of your favorite characters into situations you'd find enjoyable in some way or another. Myself, and I think Geno too, just have quite a few ladies that we like and plenty of erotic fun we'd like to see them get up to is all. XD

Hmm...anyway, suppose we can just do this diplomatically and say everyone who plans to take part can vote on their max number of comfort as far as characters used...and no, if the upper limit turns out higher than you'd like, you are NOT required to use that many characters if you don't want to.
Violets are blue,
Roses are red,
We're coming aboard,
Prepare to eat lead.
Mitsunami
Approved Role Player

Postby Jecilyn » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:26 pm

Fair enough :) I was having a hell of a time trying to figure out who and which anime characters to use....too many fun ones to choose!

Jecilyn
Approved Role Player

Postby Mitsunami » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:36 pm

Well, this might make it worse, then....characters from anime, manga, video games, cartoons....AND genderswapped versions of characters are also fair game. Just by the nature of these RPs, most may choose to play as females...but this is not necessary or required, if you'd rather not.
Violets are blue,
Roses are red,
We're coming aboard,
Prepare to eat lead.
Mitsunami
Approved Role Player

Next

Return to RP Ideas