Game taking over world game idea

Got an idea for an RP? Go ahead and post it here and discuss it with others before deciding to proceed. Your open forum for feedback and opinions about your ideas.

Game taking over world game idea

Postby Qwerts » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:40 pm

So yeah, this been in my head for around 3-4 months now.

Basically characters start as anybody in a city, and they all play the same fantasy/steampunk/whatever MMORPG. At one point, the game world will clash with the real world, trying to take over. Characters will be pit in the clash. The more they enter and win a clash, the more they turn physically and perhaps mentally too into their MMO characters.

The game is aimed so that anybody who wanna play can play. I mean, I see a lot of players waiting for a game, and I would like this game to be this. But not only for them, for the usual players too!

Here's some ideas I have so far, copied pasted from a convo, so they may seems weirdly written:

- thinking that the "no to almost none sex"[...]. I mean, sex is neat and all, but too much just take apart the game.
- I'm also thinking of dividing the game in "chapters" so to speak. First people would play gamers that make their characters do stuff in game, then it would slowly change in dynamic as things occur.
- And people wouldn't be limited to be student or things like that (in the "real" world).
- Also players could stay male when they become their characters, if the character is male to start with. So players that don't like F/F, they wouldn't have to get stuck in things like that.
- And make races and also class. So, you could have a Barbarian Kitsune, or a Minotaur paladin.
- Yea. Kinda would make it a game where your character at first get a race and a class, but not necessary become an adventurer, even though they could be warrior. They could own a tavern, as an exemple, but those skills would be useless when the worlds clash, so theirs warrior skills would be useful then.
- First part as I said would be the players doing their character's doings. And when the world start to clash, they become the characters. The more they enter a clash, the more once outside they become their characters. And if they lose in a clash, they could be ejected and get a penalty that change them even more than getting out of a clash winning.
- For priests/paladins/clerics I also have ideas of the "gods" they could worship depending on their races.

Also, 1 point I'd like to maintain, is that people should think if they REALLY want to join the game. I wouldn't like to lose players as the game go along. Second thing to think is that if I make that game and GM it, it would be my first GM'ing experience.

What do you guys think? Any ideas to throw in?
I came.
I saw.
I made it ackward.
Qwerts
Approved Role Player

Re: Game taking over world game idea

Postby Qwerts » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:51 pm

Another idea that's been in my head for a while about this, is some kind of twin gods/goddesses, the twins of balance. Not good or bad, the job they'd have is to keep balance, above the other gods yet, under them. In case of an aliance of the three type of gods (good, neutral, evil) to do something, the forces opposing them, even if they are some of their champions would still be allowed to keep their powers (for clerics/paladins and so on) to defy the gods.

I'm also thinking of a race I'd take out: angels.

Yeah, mostly, since angels are from Judeo-christian religions. Demons have appeared in many, if not all, religions, but angels didn't. Also, angels would be really similar to bird-people. Demons/devils could be good or evil, or neutral. Kinda like Creed from Shining Force II, who as a retired Greater Devil assist your team into stopping the revival of Zeon, king of devils.

Gonna write other ideas as I have time. Feel free to add some too. ^^
I came.
I saw.
I made it ackward.
Qwerts
Approved Role Player

Postby Qwerts » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:58 pm

Well, talked a little bit about the ideas of the "game world", not much about the "real world" (also wasn't at home).

So far, the story would happen in an unnamed city, that was kinda a dull city, until the creation of the game at the city's university. Thinking of having in it an industrial area, a commercial area and a residential area. Also a port, perhaps a railway. The university would be at the center of the city, mostly as the city would've been created around it.

About the characters I'm thinking that besides some exceptions, they might not all know each other. Basically a character could play a librarian, another one a teacher, another one a policeman (woman) or a grocery clerk. The only link those people would have would be that they all play the game. The game "clashing" with the world would kinda be like those cube in Reboot, but only some "chosen" people would notice those cubes "falling/appearing". "Normal" people outside wouldn't even notice and could pass thru without even noticing. Again, normal people inside the "cubes", while "invisible" could come and go. For them, it would be as if nothing had happened. ... That is until a cube "wins". Then I don't really know. I mean, people outside would notice the change that the cube taking over the real world would do, but people inside? Ain't too sure. Do they die? Are turned into creatures/citizens of the game world?

I'm also thinking that characters could switch sides if they want to or see it fit, for their own reasons. Heck, people could even start as "villains" if they wanted to.

Thinking that the goal of the game would be to try to stop all the cubes from appearing, but if the university is "eaten" by a cube, it would be instant Game over, as the servers are in there. Or perhaps not?

If you guys have ideas so far, I'm all ears! ^^

I really would like to do this one.
I came.
I saw.
I made it ackward.
Qwerts
Approved Role Player

Postby Qwerts » Wed May 21, 2014 10:34 pm

Yup time for a post once more. Well, made a quick map in Paint. I wanted to make it by hand at first, however, My proportions got messed up which would mean I would've have to scan more than one sheet and second, squares... Well, are tireing to draw again and again and again.

Anyway, for people knowing a litle about SimCity, kinda work the same the yellow squares represent industrial area (not necessarily a building per square, but just to give an idea), blue is commercial, and green as always is residential.

However, I did add a 2-3 new type of squares. "Gold" would be upper residential, and grey outside of the University's ground would be city building like Townhall, libraries, school, and so on. Again, not really set "set", but just to give an idea of the city. 2 park, one with a big lake, a port with a couple of structures besides the ship, brown line is the train line, and bigger grey line in the upper right part would be a highway. The darker green areas surrounded by yellowish-brown would be the nearby forest, or whatever is left of it. The university stand on a cliff which is why the green grounds around university building have a brown line around it.

Well, that should help understand what is what.

Here's the pic:

Anyway. For the rest, I still haven't find a good city name yet, but I have tons of ideas both on races, classes, gods, whatever make the lore of the game part of this. Some of 'em inspired by some of my favorites games like Shining Force I and II and myths and folklore and other games too. But for now this is it.
I came.
I saw.
I made it ackward.
Qwerts
Approved Role Player

Postby Qwerts » Thu May 22, 2014 7:26 pm

Inspiration struck me while I went to go some paint thinner. Anyway, I now have the name of the city: Greenfields.

Not much green though for a city named like this. LOL

Greenfields' uni was a 3 (or even lower) rate university, until Dr. Carleston and his team created within it the game: Eternity of souls. 'Cuz of the popularity of the game, the city went from almost dead to buzzing into life again, in less than 3 years. Now, the university's main building is an old abbey that was changed into what it is today. While that's not of much importance (Or it could), the university in the game is important, as if the game world convert it into its own grounds, then that would mean Earth over. Since many possibilities could be, I mean, this will be an RP, not something static, that could be changed too. But yeah, while the university isn't capital to all characters, it's capital in the way that it's like the flag in a game of capture the flag. Of couse the game can't "attack" this part of the city unless the rest have been converted.

So, I'm thinking of dividing the map I put up yesterday in squares, the university ground being a bigger square than the others and squares could be attacked at random. Characters would have to try to stop the conversion of a square thru entering it and do a quest, or win against evil characters and henchmen or things like that.

For the "fighting" system, I want to do something quite simple, with fixed "damage" point, fixed magic cost and so on.

Well, that's it for now again, if you guys have ideas or whatever, I'm all ear (so to speak, should perhaps say all eyes?, lol).
I came.
I saw.
I made it ackward.
Qwerts
Approved Role Player

Return to RP Ideas