Magical Girl/Fairytale style rp

Got an idea for an RP? Go ahead and post it here and discuss it with others before deciding to proceed. Your open forum for feedback and opinions about your ideas.

Re: Magical Girl/Fairytale style rp

Postby Qwerts » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:29 pm

There's also folklorish characters that are set in many legends, sometimes as allies, sometimes as evil. Baba Yaga came to my mind when I read this and you can even verify a little about her

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baba_Yaga

However, making quests based on old stories would mean that the characters aren't in "present time" when they're in mission or in some kind of parallel reality-ish place.
I came.
I saw.
I made it ackward.
Qwerts
Approved Role Player

Postby robiotic » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:44 pm

Know plenty about baba yaga, I'm a hellboy fan ;)
Actually fuck, hellboy is a really good point. And why would it need a time skip? I mean how many modern twists on Shakespeare plays have there been with the same core concepts, or look at series like charmed where they were always in some fight with a warlock or finding nymphs and faries and mermaids, or getting turned in to cinderella.
robiotic
Site Admin

Postby Silver » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:46 pm

I know also the honest axe would be a good story for references. It's in pretty much every culture. Sinbad would be good, and I'd almost say most of disney animated Canon would be good to look at. Most of their earlier works are based on these stories. And, to speak in the same manner as Pana, RUMPELSTILTSKIN HAS MY SUPPORT AS AN ANTAGONIST!

Going to both 1001 nights, as well as the Germanic fairy tails also sounds good to me. I'm a bit too busy to do some of the research I'd like to do, so it might take a bit before I give a proper input on this. On that mark, talking about Charmed, going with some ideas it had forth sounds good to me. Like I don't know much about what your going on with the setting here, but what about some book by the brothers Grimm as a book of shadows so to speak.
I fear today will be filled with Lunacy.
So exactly like every other day.

Silver
Approved Role Player

Postby Qwerts » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:53 pm

Never read Hellboy, saw a little bit of the first movie. Only know about Baba Yaga 'cuz of some animation they used to pass at Christmas time 'round here. To keep their budget low they would go and buy Eastern block animations. I also remember of one of those old animations that I never saw after, about a young man starting to play a board game in a bar, being swept away in a magical kingdom, saving it, falling for the princess, only to be sent back to Earth. Though, the princess then ask her father to send her to Earth so she can live with him.

As for alternate time/reality-sh, is that going... Err, would you believe me if I told you I forgot why I had that point raised? ><
I came.
I saw.
I made it ackward.
Qwerts
Approved Role Player

Postby panahinuva » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:56 pm

If we're drawing from charmed, I politely request that all of our protagonists not be whiny jerks. :P

In any case, yes, definitely would want Baba Yaga in there. I could see her in either a villain or an enigmatic mentor role.

Fairy Tales in the modern day should work fine, in fact it might work well, as the conflict could be between the heroes trying to prevent the villains from bringing back the dark ages or something.
F-List: http://www.f-list.net/c/panahinuva

"The world is upside-down, Alice! The inmates are running the asylum- no offense. And worst of all... I'm left tea-less!"

panahinuva
Site Admin

Postby robiotic » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:59 pm

Agreed on the whining, and on baba yaga being in there! I think she'd make a good neutral party with no allegiance to either side. Just some kind of dark herald of things to come...
I reckon it should be a university. It puts people at a certain age at a base level (with higher levels of faculty, staff.etc) you've got settings within that, bars, frat houses, libraries, cafeterias, swimming pools, and then off campus sites can be used as well - it's not as non-nondescript as an entire town but not as limited as a single building as a start point.
Founded and funded by descendants of the Grimms family who fled their native country and formed the school as a cover and vault - an integral cog in a mechanism to keep the evils of the world sealed.
Last edited by robiotic on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robiotic
Site Admin

Postby panahinuva » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:01 pm

Sounds perfect to me. And our heroes stumble across, or are directed down to as descendants of something, a vault containing magical items that grant them the powers of previous heroes.

Also, I politely request that Peter Pan and Captain Hook both be evil. Captain Hook being Lawful Evil or Chaotic Neutral and Peter Pan being Chaotic Evil. It always annoys me to see that little murderer being portrayed as a hero when he was actually a raging psychotic.

"The world is upside-down, Alice! The inmates are running the asylum- no offense. And worst of all... I'm left tea-less!"

panahinuva
Site Admin

Postby SoraWolf7 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:02 pm

Another good interpretation of Fairy Tales in modern times is the series Once Upon a Time, and it'd be great to see even something like some of the more known Japanese folk tales, like Momotaro or Issunboshi. (Fertility peaches and growing hammers anyone?) If anyone wants to see good interpretations of Japanese folklore, go hit up the Okami Wiki, those games are chock full of it.

And if you're referencing Grimms family, guess we should also call up the series Grimm itself.
F-List: http://www.f-list.net/c/sorawolf/

I`m here to RP, kick butt, and drink bottles of root beer. And I`m all outta butts.
SoraWolf7
Approved Role Player

Postby Qwerts » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:03 pm

Wait, the Charmed protagonists were whinny jerks? I dunno, I know the serie by name and because it had that 10210 "bad girl" in, but that's mostly it.

And huh, wait, Peter Pan a raging psychotic murderer?!?
I came.
I saw.
I made it ackward.
Qwerts
Approved Role Player

Postby BioYuGi » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:04 pm

...Well I said I would help GM but wow you guys are really coming up with a shit-ton of ideas already.

Only thing I can think of is hansel and Gretel and getting some magic diabetes that requires daily doses of boob.
BioYuGi
Approved Role Player

Postby panahinuva » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:16 pm

Peter Pan was clearly mentally unbalanced and it was mentioned in the Barry book that he "thinned out" the lost boys whenever they showed signs of growing up.

And Bio, you might not be too helpful in the brainstorming stage, but I'm sure you'll have plenty of things to contribute when it comes to actually running it.

panahinuva
Site Admin

Postby Silver » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:23 pm

Avoiding whiny bitch sounds likes a good plan to me. And with Peter pan and Hook, I'd almost rather see Hook being Lawful Neutral, though than Evil. I can't explain why. Really I think a lot of the things involved should be more Neutral or lawful evil. Bound by their stories in a way.

Silver
Approved Role Player

Postby robiotic » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:37 pm

I think lawful evil is a good basis for most although I can definitely see pan being chaotic evil - driven mad by the continual loss of never growing old and seeing any of his chosen lost boys growing older as a sign of betrayal punishable by death.

One thing I will say though is this all seems to be falling more in line with this being a more seriously toned RP with sexual overtones than something light hearted in narrative.
That's not to say it has to be devoid of humor, but a lot of magical girl is very 'flowery' which is a bit of a contrast.

I mean as far as it being a bit darker goes that's something that does intrinsically stem from this kind of folklore since a lot of it in origin is seriously dark (Lets not even go there with the original little mermaid, that's just. Eugh, no.) but I think perhaps something almost 'buffy the vampire slayer' as far as the balance of peril and humor is concerned with more sexual overtones.
robiotic
Site Admin

Postby SoraWolf7 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:39 pm

Seems like a fair balance to me. So are we going to be dealing with the monsters as a whole group, smaller groups/teams, or individually?
F-List: http://www.f-list.net/c/sorawolf/

I`m here to RP, kick butt, and drink bottles of root beer. And I`m all outta butts.
SoraWolf7
Approved Role Player

Postby Qwerts » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:45 pm

Well, unless what I read as a kid wasn't the "REAL/ORIGINAL" Little mermaid, it wasn't THAT bad. The sea witch isn't completely evil, warn her of the "dangers" of using the potion and the payment, could be that as a witch she has found a way to become imortal and gone weary of earthly treasures and things like a beautiful voice or hairs can't be "mass produced". And in the end, yeah, she die, but she become some kind of air spirit that would be given a soul after 300 years of good deeds.
I came.
I saw.
I made it ackward.
Qwerts
Approved Role Player

Postby robiotic » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:47 pm

They cut her fin in half with a knife and caked in blood she walks the shores wrapped in cloth, she fails her mission, gets turned to sea foam and washes away on the ocean before her soul then has to redeem itself one good dead at a time...
It's a genuinely nasty story.
Last edited by robiotic on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robiotic
Site Admin

Postby BioYuGi » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:47 pm

Yeah early fairy tales are messed up. I think someone in Rumpelstilksin got ripped in half by a tree.
BioYuGi
Approved Role Player

Postby robiotic » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:49 pm

The ugly sisters in Cinderella (or Aschenputtel as she's known) cut their own toes off with a knife in attempt to fit their feet in to the shoe.
robiotic
Site Admin

Postby Silver » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:50 pm

I almost think that we should try and keep it somewhat light hearted. That's mostly going to be how the villains are played. Go silly with them, and it can work.

Now that I have a moment to think, let me put down a few of my ideas, as they come to me.

Hansel and Gretal. The evil with could be feeding people with the intention of, not so much fattening up, but more to make a few certain parts bigger.

Past that.... I'm really running short on ideas. Freaking brain fart.

Silver
Approved Role Player

Postby robiotic » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:51 pm

Lets just say we're not going with 'original original versions' westernized takes are where it's at.
robiotic
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to RP Ideas